Friday, November 13, 2009

Mom's "Stuff"

I was in WA a few weeks ago helping Heather and Dad set up for an open house. The open house was to give a gift of one of mom's creations to all of the wonderful people who have helped and sustained our family through this time. Most especially those who came into our home to take care of mom.
I never realized how much "stuff" can fit into such small places. Heather, Ketra and I went through one bedroom when we were home for Grandma's funeral. That was just the tip of the iceberg. Mom had more craft stuff in the four closets downstairs, a whole craft closet that takes up a small hallway, and a storage shed, about the size of a one car garage, outside! We set out all of the finished product and realized we had enough to satisfy an army of women. Good thing too, we had an army of women who came to care for mom when she needed it most.
I had a wonderful time seeing and talking with all of those incredible women. Some wonderful memories were shared, some tears were shed, and a lot of "stuff" went out the door! Mom had so much it covered the downstairs, the back bedroom, the kitchen and the living room. We had trails so my kids and I could make it into our bedrooms at night. It ended up being a wonderful way of sharing a little bit of mom one last time.
I only had one moment when I thought I couldn't take it. I walked into the living room on my last night there and realized that all of the finished product had been reduced to one table. I got that sinking feeling for just one second and thought, "It's all gone. Mom is all gone." Then immediately I was so happy that where it all went was right and that mom would want it right where it was. All of you will cherish her passion, and it truly was a passion, and because you have a bit of what she loved, she will never be forgotten.
Again, our family thanks you for all of your love. And we pray you will love her things and see her in them as much as we do.

p.s. The family is doing fine.

No comments: