Friday, June 26, 2009

On The Farm

I am here in Basin City with mom. She is doing well. She actually has a better appetite now than she did when I was here after Joe's wedding. She still has her wonderful sense of humor. She doesn't communicate very well, but occasionally has a five or six word sentence. Most of the time we get one of her prized facially expressions, raised eyebrows, or a huge smile. The smile usually means she likes it, wants it, or thinks it is hilarious. The other morning she said my name and that just about threw me for a crying binge. It is truly amazing the things I miss the most, like my mother saying my name.
Ketra is here with me. She is an amazing woman. She has cleaned more messes than I think I ever could and she whistles around the house. Of course most of the tunes she whistles are Elvis. Apparently mom has taken a renewed liking to the man. She has a TV station that plays all Elvis all the time. It is on almost 24/7. She taps her toes to it and enjoys the music. Dad was saying that they went to Spokane when they were first married and saw Elvis in concert. Apparently mom was a big fan back then.
She also really loves it when her friend comes over with her guitar and plays and sings for her. Ketra, Dad and I got to sit in the front room with them this week and watch something happen I didn't think I would see in the these final weeks. Mom would be in a dead sleep and Sister Eppich would start to play, "I Didn't Know the Gun was Loaded" (a really cute folk lore western) and mom would wake up and start singing right along with her. Whatever song was played that mom knew she was able to put all the words together and sing. It is amazing how much music affects us. Especially at this stage in mom's life.
Heather has come over almost every day we have been here. She has to take on a lot of the responsibility because all of us live farther away. She also does an amazing job and has four very active children. Heather, Ketra and I found this old box of pictures from our youth! Things from the time Heather was a baby and mom and dad were first married. Heather found some great protector sheets to put them in. We all really enjoyed looking at and remembering those times. It's just a wonder that a picture will bring up so many memories that you forgot you had. She also found a picture of Dad's office clean! That is something that is nonexistent in our parent's home!
There are lots of things that will happen in the coming weeks to my mom. Her body will begin to shut down and she will start saying her final goodbyes. I only say this because it might be too difficult for me to write very often. Or I may not have the time. So please be patient with me. I will get you information as quickly as I can emotionally and physically handle. We are all so grateful for my mom and what she means to all of us.

My favorite memory of my mom by Rachael:
When I was in my first semester of college I was more than just a little homesick. I would call home several times a week crying and complaining how hard it was to be away from my mom and dad. This was not new to me. I have always been a home body and never really liked sleep overs or camps. My mom finally got exasperated with me and asked if I wanted to come home and go to the local Jr college. I said no. I knew there was much fun to be had at Ricks. So she told me, in no uncertain terms, "BUCK UP!" And then she hung up the phone on me. Those two words are now a joke between us. She has lovingly told me to buck up every time Bruce has been away on training or a deployment or I have just needed reassurance that all would be well. It may seem like a strange favorite memory, but "Buck Up!" has helped me in every aspect of my life. Thanks mom! I love you!

No comments: