Saturday, April 4, 2009

Another day, an old problem.

Talked to Dad tonight and got an update on mom. She is doing well. She is settled into the rehab center and started the work to get better. She is definitely more aware of her surroundings. Heather told me yesterday that when she came to visit after the surgery mom asked where dad was. Heather said he was on his way and would be there soon. Mom proceeded to tell her, "Well, he was supposed to be here a half hour ago to take me out of this damn place." Heather then said she promptly fell asleep. When she woke up she was as pleasant as could be, saw dad and visited and was happy, and never said one more word about going home. It's nice to know she is realizing she is in a hospital and wants to go home.
Dad said my Uncle Jim is in town. It is Jim's birthday today so all the adults went to dinner. I'm glad. I think dad needed a little time away from it all. He said it was a nice dinner and they had a good time. It's also great for my Uncle to see mom. He seems to have gotten a lot of bad news lately. My Grandpa passed away last year. He lives farther away than any other sibling of mom's and only gets the news from phone calls. I'm glad he is there.
Dad did however tell me of an old problem. I say old in relative terms. Mom had two more seizures in the last 24 hours. One during the night and one while taking a bath. Why do those things always happen in the bathroom? The Dr's took mom off one of the three seizure medications she is on. Now we will be upping that dose again to keep them under control. We were all hoping mom could get off some of this particular medication because it makes her very groggy and loopy. That is okay, we now know what to do. They took another scan of the brain to check on things and see if we need to change something. No word on that scan yet, probably we will hear on Monday.
Another new thing is no Chemo until after physical therapy is done. The Dr's want mom as strong as possible. Derrick said Mitra, Dr Rado's NP, is comfortable with this because mom is in no immediate danger. Again, a relative term. This time relative if you are related or not. Mom has smaller masses and is in no pain according to Mitra so holding off on Chemo is fine. The larger concern has been and remains to be the brain. Please keep that particular request in your prayers for mom. We need to get the brain under control then we will be able to move more aggressively to other parts of the body.
And on the prayer note I would like to share an experience I believe my whole family has had. We decided to pray in particular that mom would be strong enough and cognisant enough to be admitted to the rehab center she is currently in. That obviously came true. My kids all made sure they prayed that Grandma would be able to get stronger with the Dr's help. I'm sure my sister's and brother's all had that great feeling that comes from an answered prayer when the call came in that mom had indeed been accepted and that our prayer was answered; just like I did. It seems such a small thing to pray for, but I know Heavenly Father heard us and helped mom to pass the evaluation. And I'm just very grateful. Thomas, my oldest, was very excited and just said, "See mom, Heavenly Father came through again!"
Thanks so much for all of your comments. They have helped me a lot and my family has enjoyed them as well. Please keep them coming.

1 comment:

Jan McGary said...

Rachael, I stopped in to see your mother on Thursday. She was resting and no one in the room. To me that was good because I had heard that she had to have someone with her every minute of the day. It was good to see her and I spoke
with her briefly. I don't know if she remembers because she told me that Derrek and his wife had left.
I later found out that Derrek had gone to see Jilayne and Garrett that night. They all had a good short visit. We are all praying for your families and Judy. Prayer
and faith and belief are a great source of strength and comfort.
Your family's organization and love
is amazing to us all. We are here
anytime that we are needed.
jan McGary