Thursday, April 2, 2009

A shot in the Arm or maybe the Brain?

Yesterday we got a shot in the arm, to the brain. Let me explain. The doctors came in and said they were going to place a shunt in mom's brain. This is to help take care of the pressure in her brain caused by the swelling from the radiation and the tumors. They were worried mom might sucomb to a coma and the shunt was the best way to avoid this. The shunt was placed and the results are like night and day. We have a large portion of mom back. Before the surgery she was so lethargic and non responsive we wondered what to do next. She couldn't feed herself and she couldn't hold on a converstaion. She slept almost non stop with only a few glimpses of her coming out.
One such occasion was when my sister Heather was talking to a few visitors and saying how nice it was to have my brother Derrick and his wife Catherine there because they brought the baby and Heather loves to hold the babies, mom opened her eyes and glared at Heather like, "Don't you take my baby from me!" and shook her finger at her. That is typical mom. They always fight over who gets to hold the baby, no matter which one it is, first.
The surgery went very well and when mom woke up she was ready to face a day. By the end she was swearing at dad and the President of the US. Talking even about how wrong the stimulus packages are and how Obabma needs to go away. This made us all very happy. Mom is very vocal about her politics. And I'm sure dad loved being called mom's favorite nickname for him. (If you want to know that nickname you'll have to ask dad.)
Today she is doing even better. She no longer needs a patient sitter. (Someone who litterally sits with a patient 24/7 because the patient is that bad off.) And she in no longer on a bed pan. Which I'm sure my mom is more than grateful for. She sat in her recliner in her room for a few hours thus getting out of a bed for the first time in four days. She can answer almost any question, but chooses to believe it is January 2009 because she needs another birthday.
The Dr that put in the shunt is very pleased and happy with the results and how everything is healing. Mom would like to take a shower, but has to wait till a little more healing happens. She has grown to love chocolate malts and shakes. And today she asked Derrick to bring her as much hot food as he could. When asked what she really wanted mom said BBQ and hot rolls.
The nurses feel she is a very good canditdate for the in house rehab center at Kadlek Hospital. In fact Dr Chou, the rehab Dr, just told us he was going to work it all out so that she gets in. This is the place we want mom the most right now. They will be able to help her got strong without her to go home leaving and she will be well taken care of. The first thought was to put her in a nursing home, bad idea. This is much, much better. I just got off the phone with Dad and he is very pleased with the outcome of the day.
And on that note, I need to apologize. It has been brought to my attention that I never even mentioned my dad in the first blog. For this I am truly sorry. My dad is the most amazing man you will ever meet. He loves my mom more than I can ever describe. Mom in fact told me on the first night I was home four weeks ago when this all began, that she was realizing how much my dad loves her. She feels of his love when she thinks of him and it lights up her face. I think we all know in our hearts how we feel about our husbands, wives, children, and even siblings, but my parents are rediscovering all the little things that make a marriage strong. I have experienced things with my dad in the last few weeks that are too hard for me to talk about. But know this, you will never meet a more generous, kind, caring, stern, loving father than my own. He has been with my mom every step of this journey so far and he will be with her each step she takes. I am very grateful that I have had the chance to see, not just know, but see my parents love for each other. I hope you feel about yours how I feel about mine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Rachael for doing this. We all love your mother and are praying for her. This blog sounds so encouraging. Please continue to keep us updated it means a lot to everyone.

Mary Ehrhart

Nurse Heidi said...

Amazing what a little reduction of pressure in the brain will do. I'm glad that it was successful!