Sorry it has been a whole week from the last update. Really there hasn't been much to report. Mom still was sleeping a lot and doing her physical and occupational therapy and doing well. She is still a pleasure to be around and can hold a fair conversation. Dad still goes every night to be with her and to hold her hand. I hope I still love holding hand when I've been married 35 plus years. They also put mom on some Jet Lag medication. Don't ask me what it is called because I don't know. But it does seem to be keeping her awake and alert during the day. This we are very grateful for.
Stacey, mom's Visiting Teacher, has given me some updates and I thought I would put some of her comments in. "I didn't get into the hospital today until noon but was pleasantly surprised to see your mom awake and trying to eat some lunch. I loaded the spoon for her and handed it over... she did a great job. I was commenting on the 'food groups' on her tray... pasta (carbs), meat sauce (protein) carrots and orange sections (fruit and vegetables) and chocolate pudding... your mom piped right up and said, 'Chocolate of coarse is the most important food group !' Her tray also contained coffee... I asked her if she was drinking coffee now (ha)... she told me no that she didn't but she sure loved the smell of it! We had such a fun visit... no simple answers of yes or no...full sentences, smiles, laughter, and even good natured sarcasm, she had therapists Audra (OT) and Erika (speech) rolling with laughter. They were thrilled to see the improvement. Audra was telling a story and your mother apparently was visualizing it and couldn't stop laughing...it was a hoot! Later I asked her about this morning (she took a stroll with Justin using her walker) she said 'Therapy was her favorite thing to do" and then rolled her eyes and put that coy little look on her face...what fun!!! A great day!!"
And the next days updates: "Your mom continues to amaze the therapists. She walked 60 feet with her walker in one direction down the hall (she took off like a rabbit) and then maneuvered her wheelchair with her hands and feet another 70 feet... Impressive!!! Phyllis popped in...'naughty' is the best word to describe those two when they are together."
Editors note: Phyllis is my "Aunt." She and mom look so much alike that they could almost pass for twins. There is no blood relation, but there really could have been with their looks. In fact I got asked a lot in High School if Phyllis was my mom because even my close friends had a hard time sometimes. Phyllis also drives bus, so that made it hard as well. Phyllis fuels my mom like no-one else. They are the best of friends and act like school girls and yes sometimes they are 'naughty' but only in good natured fun. I can't even tell you how much my mom loves being with her. Phyllis and Merlin (her husband) have been long time friends of mom and dad's.
Currently mom will be coming home from the rehab center on Monday the 20th. She will have one wonderful night at home and then she will travel to Seattle where the Seattle Cancer Center Alliance will be looking into her case on Wednesday the 22nd. Once we find out their opinion mom will be coming home and she will start Chemo again on Thursday. I'll be up in WA on Sunday to help with the transition home and all the traveling. Heather will of course be there helping as well.
We also had a little wedding in our family. My take is simple. I wasn't there but I find it more than funny that my Catholic Brother got married by a Mormon Bishop in a chapel at the Kadelek Rehab Center! Now try to explain that to your religious friends. Joe and Michelle had a lovely ceremony so mom could see them married. She will most likely not be able to attend the formal wedding on May 2nd. Joe has assured me he will make a post about all the mishaps and fun they had last Saturday. So please bug him through the comments so he'll do it. We also need to hear about the hair cutting party a few weeks ago Joe.
Now for some comic relief. I love when movie gets really intense and then suddenly a little comment is made and sometimes you get it and sometimes you don't but if you do it makes you laugh. Well, my family gets to be that relief today. Two days ago now I was getting my little troop of three, Jacob (5), Sarah (3), and James (18 mos) ready for pre-school. (Thomas was already at school.) This day was special for several reasons. Jacob just got off spring break and he was heading back to the grinding stone after a well deserved break. Pre-school is very hard you know. Sarah on the other hand is potty training and she is working toward getting a new My Little Pony. James is just 18 mos and into everything. I had to, I mean have the privilege, of helping in Jacob's class once a month and two days ago it was my turn. So after lunch I put Sarah on the potty. This usually gives me enough time to run down stairs and change out the laundry so I went down stairs to do that. I pulled out the whites so I was making sure the Sunday shirts didn't get wrinkled and spent a few extra minutes pulling those out and laying them flat. I hear someone run from one end of the room to the other up stairs and then I heard Sarah scream, "No James!! Stop that!!" This is not unusual so I didn't worry too much until Jacob yelled down the stairs that James had emptied the TP roll. I still wasn't too concerned. It's just TP and I calmly walked up the stairs to see what was happening.
I get up the stairs and hear James laughing gleefully and Sarah's still screaming for him to stop and that he was getting her wet. By this time I am sure you can imagine I was concerned with what I was hearing. Wet is never good in the bathroom. I walked into the worst scene ever. Sarah is sitting on the toilet and James has indeed taken off all the TP from a half full roll. However, James decided he needed to put that TP in the toilet. Sarah didn't like that so James took it out of the toilet and put it on the floor. He then had taken some of the TP and put it back in the toilet. THEN, yes it gets better, (do your sides hurt yet?) James took his favorite no, no toy, the toilet brush, and was shoving the TP down the whole in the bottom. Not only was he clogging the toilet, but he was getting pee water all over the bathroom! I had about 20 minutes before I had to leave to pick up the car pool kids for pre-school. I was not a happy mom at this time. I did however manage to get two kids in the tub, scrub down the bathroom and dry hair all before I was late for pre-school. I dare you to top that for the week.
Have a great one!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ah, the toilet paper incident. I s'pose I should make sure my bathroom doors are shut since your little bandits are cruising around here today!
Glad to hear that your mom is perking up. I can't wait to hear the update after today's appointments - good luck!!
Post a Comment