Friday, April 24, 2009

Hooters and Seattle

Okay, it is past one in the morning and I figure I am as loopy as mom so this should be good. Mom came home on the 20th and had a very bad day. She was very out of it and extremely tired. Dad and I had a very hard time getting her to eat or use the bathroom or even get ready for bed. It was a lot of work and neither one of us thought it was a good idea to have her at home.
Tuesday morning came and it was just as bad. After a little breakfast and a two hour shower, no kidding, we got mom into the car so we could head up to Seattle to see what the cancer Dr's would say up there. Heather and I had to feed mom once in the car and it was harder than feeding a new born baby. Once in Seattle we got mom settled. It was dinner time so Heather ran across the street to a restaurant and got mom some clam chowder. Mom loved it! She ate the whole bowl and two slices of bread. She thought it was the hottest item in Seattle.
After mom got done eating Joe and Michelle came over to visit. They live in Seattle. Joe Michael has a way with my mom. He was able to get her to move around in the wheel chair. Only a little because there wasn't much room. And he got her to get up and walk around with him as her walker. She did awesome! It was an amazing thing. He also got her to flip him off. Joe made the comment that there was a Hooters across the street and he was going to take dad there as soon as mom got into bed and fell asleep. Without even changing her expression she just turned her head to see him and gave him the bird! Joe laughed harder than I have seen in a while. Mom then proceeded to scowl at him the rest of the night. Just when you think it is okay to say something my mom reappears and shocks us all. I hope none of you are offended, mom means this in good fun and really, Joe just brings it out in her.
The next morning, Wed the 21st, I think I witnessed a slight miracle. Mom woke up around 7:30-8am and she looked like she was going to lay back down and try to sleep some more. Instead she pulled her legs under her and sat crossed legged and asked what we were doing today. This way of sitting is how my mom always sits. It is her favorite position and she even sits this way in the car. From that moment on it was a go day. Mom wouldn't let Heather and I help her much. We stabilized her as she walked to and from the bathroom and helped her dress but she was on the go and wanted us out of her way. She stayed awake until 2pm when we finished lunch and she interacted with us and talked and laughed and teased. It was so great to have my mom back if only for a day. She also walked all over the house with her walker when we got back from Seattle. To and from the living room to the bathroom several times. That is traveling the entire length of my parent's home.
The Dr's in Seattle basically confirmed what we already know. They suggested a pill form of Chemo, but it interferes with one of her three seizure medications and her neurologist doesn't want to take her off the Dilantin. So, we decided to keep the carbo/taxall chemo going. The only difference is they stepped down the taxall a little. The Dr in Seattle, Dr Eaton, would not have felt comfortable giving mom this chemo because it does break down the muscle and mom has a hard enough time without the chemo taking some of her strength. However, after some test results from Dr Rado's office, the oncologist in Kennewick, Dad and I felt the Chemo she is on now will give us better results. Like Dr Rado said if we are going to do Chemo then we need to do one that will work. Those test results confirmed, finally, that we are for sure dealing with one form of cancer. It is lung cancer, adenocarsinoma. This is good news because the carbo/taxall she is getting will be a good match for treatment of this. Since the pill form is not available for now. The pill form would be a great one to use and if you know someone with lung cancer who has never smoked you might want to ask about it. It is called Tarseva.
Anyway, mom had a treatment today. It only took us four hours to get it. Mom slept, Dad slept, I tried and failed.
Speaking of sleep, I am falling into it right now. I will post some pictures when I get back to UT and give another update then.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Rachel for doing this site. I check it regularly to see if there is an update. We all love your mom. My daughter, Jill, is in her primary class and misses her dearly! Every Sunday she asks, "When is Sister Pauly coming back? I like Sister Pauly." She is constantly in our prayers.

Heather Benson

Anonymous said...

I had the privilege of spending part of an afternoon with your mom on Friday, May 2. I was amazed at how much progress she had made since the first of the week (And I was impressed then)! Shortly after I arrived on Saturday, she agreed to a detour into the kitchen to practice some therapy exercises Phyllis taught us, after a bathroom stop. Using the kitchen counter to hang onto, she not only stepped left, then right, but sashayed while humming and adding extra hip and dance moves! Joe came in from the living room and enjoyed the hilarious scene. Judy then did heel and toe stepping forward and toe/heel steps backwards, amazingly executed. We paused for a moment to reflect on the saying that is prominently displayed above her sink, "Life is Good." She believe that more than ever, despite the challenges she is meeting with courage and determination. We spent the afternoon visiting, laughing, and reminiscing. She and your dad loved being able to be a part of Joe Michael's wedding via the cell phone. She had a wonderful day, and Jai Lynn Stoker and I felt privileged to share part of it with her. We love your mom and your family.

Love,
Tamlee McGary