Thursday, July 9, 2009

Just an Update

So, mom has, as usual, decided to do things differently. Dad and I had a good talk last night and apparently mom has begun to eat and be aware of things again. She is enjoying two meals a day, breakfast and dinner with a few bites at lunch. She is also drinking just enough water and Boost. Boost is one of her favorite things now. Has been for months. Stacey also said a few days ago mom was awake and alert and even laughing with the ladies who were there to help out with her. The family is still a little baffled. We all figured when she said she was ready to go that she would slip into a coma like sleep and go within a few days.
Bruce explained it this way and I think I agree, although I had to think about it for a while. He said that mom had made the decision to go and now she is relaxed and enjoying what is left of her life. She is eating a little good food and spending time with those who love her most. She is not trying to get our hopes up or trick us, she is just waiting for the body to be ready.
Hospice has a wonderful article about the end of life on their web site. It explains that two things have to happen. The body has to shut down, which is a very orderly and uneventful thing. And the spirit has to be ready to go as well. That is usually the person doing all of those things they feel they need to do before they die, like saying good bye and making any amends they feel they need to. So, mom is just enjoying her time.
What a gift to all of us who are around her and love her. She still loves to smile, laugh, tease and joke. She is still very much mom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rachael saw your mom yesterday and got a smile when I told her I was there. Thanks again for the wonderful blogs. Judy is so lucky to have such wonderful kids.

Mary